Trying to organize your finances this spring? Here are five tips to help you get your cash under control.
- Update your budget. Several things can change in a year. If you’ve switched jobs, had a child, or purchased a home, make sure to review and update your budget. Figure out which expenses require the most money, and identify areas where you can cut back. Create a strategy for spending and saving, and stick to it.
- Pay down debt. Evaluate how much debt you need to pay off and what you’re paying in interest. Start paying off existing debt, whether that means slowly chipping away at loans with high interest rates or taking care of smaller debt first.
- Set up automatic bill pay. If you pay your bills automatically, you won’t ever have to worry about missing a payment! Plan out your automatic payments to make sure your checking account has an adequate amount of money when the payments are withdrawn.
- Go digital. Switching to paperless billing will help keep your house more organized. It will also help protect you from fraud. Use your bank’s mobile app to check your balance, transfer funds, deposit checks, and more.
- Check your credit report. You’re guaranteed one free credit report each year. Take advantage of these free reports! Check for errors, and if you spot one, take the necessary steps to correct them. Mistakes can negatively impact your score and prevent you from getting a loan.